Tuesday, April 1, 2008

Luray Cavern

Today I'm going to write about our trip to Luray Caverns. It was a sunny day. Mom decided to take us to a place we never been to. It is Luray Caverns. Luray Caverns is a natural wonder. It was found in 1878. Millions of people visited Luray Caverns after it was open to public. Luray Cavern's sort of mix in with Shenandoah Park. But now it's called Shenandoah Valley. If the people didn't find Luray Cavern there would be no Luray Caverns. They would only have the store on top of the cave that no one found.

Luray Caverns is a cave. It has lots of stalagmites and stalactite. Mostly Luray Caverns has stalactites. There are 3 ponds in the cave. One looks like the sea. We made wishes and threw pennies in the pond. The second pond was dark. The third one was bright ans without the waves, it looks like a mirror. And the third one with the stalactites on the ceiling, I thought it was stalagmites from the pond! I knew it was actually the reflections. It's because I didn't look long enough the first time. There is also a giant stalagmite that fell. I forgot how old is was.

Did you know how the stalagmites and stalactites grow? If you don't, I have a little story about how stalagmites and stalactites grow. Over 600 million years ago, one day a drop of water with tiny bits of limestones was on the ceiling. The water and some limestone fell down, then millions and millions of more drops came down. The limestones stayed on the ceiling formed cone shapes are called stalactites. The limestone that was on the ground formed upside-down cone shapes are called stalagmites. You can not touch the limestones because you have germs and oil (body oil ) on your hands. You might stop the limestones from growing. Then no much interesting things will be in your writing, if you are writing about Luray Caverns, like me.

Luray Caverns is not the only cave in the world. There are hundreds of caves in almost every part of the world. I heard that there is a cave that is the biggest cave in the world. I forgot the name of it. Luray Caverns is sort of scary. But I had mostly fun. I took a lot of pictures. I took a picture of me cross-eyed. I like that picture the most.

No comments: